Monday, March 30, 2015

When in China. . .

So this post isn't going to be about me. I'm really not that interesting anyways. Witty? sure. Charming? According to most. Devilishly handsome? Just ask my mirror. But not interesting. That's for things larger than life. Like countries. Specifically China, in case you couldn't figure that out from the title, or the last 6 blog posts. Anyways, here's what China has been up to.

Public dancing. 


These people love to dance, and do a weird Asian Zumba thing (guangchuangwu, 广场舞), and pretty much anything else you can do with choreographed movements in a park. Every evening when the sun begins to set, middle aged women flock to the streets in throngs (in case you were speed reading, no I didn't type thongs), so that they can get their groove on. IMO (in my opinion for you non-millenials) this is something we should transplant to the States. It's good exercise, enforces a sense of community, and allows you to meet people without signing up for a $300 class in a gym.


Helicopter landings. 



On the plus side, it doubles as a rescue copter
when the buildings collapse
My school is pretty quiet. Nothing really ever happens here out of the ordinary. It's essentially a small town in rural Kansas, give or take 20,000 people. But three days ago, a helicopter decided to land on the track where I and every student on campus tend to go jogging. since then it has been landing and taking off with the regularity of an Activia commercial. Have you ever had a helicopter buzz your apartment building? You have? weird. But at least your building was probably made to last. My complex has a shelf life of about fifteen years and is currently entering its seventh year. So the vibrations from a helicopter feel eerily similar to a category 3 earthquake. Good times. Good times.

Picture taking. 

Pictured: Maturity

This is a class full of grown adult  college professors. They had never seen a real life white person before, so they took a picture of yours truly. And then I took a picture of them taking a picture of me taking a picture of them. Pretty meta, right?


"If we stack them high enough, maybe the
cops won't be able to see who's driving."
Hoarding.

This picture is terrible. That's partly my bad, and mostly the bad of the chinese girl who shouldered past me to get on a bus. I don't blame her, I would've done the same. But what you are looking at is half of this motor bike's cargo of....styrofoam? I'm not really sure. But it was as tall as a double decker bus and as wide as my living room. So I was impressed. This stuff happens all the time, but usually its trash, or squished down cardboard. Seeing something this bulky weaving through traffic, was worth a photo.

Clear Skies.

My eyes were tearing up from joy instead of toxic fumes

Just...What?

Words do not exist in the English language to express how rare, how beautiful, and how perfect this last week has been. I took a breath of air. That was it. No smoke. No toxic chemicals. Nothing but pure unadulterated oxygen (and nitrogen for you sciencey types)









Mistranslations.


I'd add a caption...but nothing I can say is
better than that sign.

These are normal.

  All things considered, this one actually isn't even that bad. Part of me wonders if this is intentional. I would feel terrible to wake the grass up from a nap. Imagine if you were sleeping, then a giant came in and stepped on your entire family.

 Things are harder to kill when you humanize them. So actually, well played China. Well played.












Lines.

Don't worry. It's actually twice that long. I'm only halfway
to the checkout counter.

This is Wal-Mart.
Don't go on a weekend.
Ever.
I'm warning you.
You'll regret it.


Th-th-th-that's all folks. Oh, I also found out how to type in Chinese. 再见。 我爱你们。 你好妈妈。

No comments:

Post a Comment